Using A Dehumidifier For Mould Treatment &/or Prevention

Mould in the home can be a serious problem for many people - and you may well have noticed small black spots appearing near windows and in damp corners in your home. These spots are mould spores - which is the growth of bacteria which has formed because of moisture.

These mould spores can be treated using a Dehumidifier - which removes excess moisture from the air. This prevents the mould spores from developing, and in the most effective way of preventing mould growth after removal.

The Dangers of Mould in the Home

Black mould or mildew can be found in a variety of places where it materialises as a fluffy grey-black growth. It can grow on virtually any surface from wood to insulation, drywalls and carpets. Mould produces tiny spores which travel through the air till they find damp spots to settle in.

This mould in the home can pose a serious risk to your health and your home - and immediate mould treatment is recommended to anyone who can see mould spores developing in their home. In themselves, small growths of mould are not harmful, but inhaling mould or mould spores can trigger allergic reaction or worsen other medical conditions such as Asthma and Arthritis.

Mould Removal

Removing mould is not simply a case of wiping down surfaces until it has been visibly removed - because it is likely to simply grow back. Effective mould treatment requires a dehumidifier which will reduce indoor humidity levels to below what mould spores require to live.

All that mould needs to thrive is a tiny bit of nutrition from the surface and, most importantly, access to moisture. Apart from regularly wiping down surfaces, mould growth can be controlled through lowering overall indoor humiditylevels and depriving mould of its main source of nutrition. The simplest method of doing this is with dehumidifier. One of these clever units should be sufficient to keep the relative humidity below the 60-70% that mould needs to grow.

The Benefits of Mould Treatment

If you already have a problem with mould, simply cleaning the surface or painting over the mould will not get rid of it. To eradicate it completely, it is necessary to lower the relative humidity in the affected areas to below 60%. This will starve the mould spores and prevent it from growing back and should soon lead to an improved indoor environment. This can be done easily by investing in a dehumidifier, which should dry out the area in a week or so, ready for cosmetic repairs.

Mould is likely to affect a majority of homes in some shape or form. Once spotted, it needs to be treated thoroughly. Making sure areas are properly vented, wet patches are dried up as they occur and humidity levels are kept in check, are three simple measures to prevent the problem from occurring in your home, saving both your health and home from any damage.

Which Dehumidifier should I buy for Mould removal?

There are many different types of dehumidifier available – and to help you choose the one that is right for you try our Product Selector. This will offer you a dehumidifier specifically suited to your mould treatment needs.
All Ebac dehumidifiers are specially designed for the European Climate, unlike our competitors who import their units from temperate countries. Our dehumidifier also feature our patented Smart Control, Hydrophilic Coils, and a larger Extraction Rate than other dehumidifiers. An additional feature of Ebac dehumidifiers is that they all contain a permanent drainage facility which allows the dehumidifier to be left operating at all times.

Browse our current range of Dehumidifiers now